Page View Monitor

My Shelfari Shelf

Thursday, June 7, 2012

"Every Long Sip"

What do you think? 

                 If you’ve been hanging out in my blog long enough, you’ll know that I am a firm believer in my constitutional right to join online writing contests and make a fool out of myself by asking Facebook friends in Facebook and/or Twitter to read and/or like it.

            So allow me to indulge myself in yet another online writing contest that I’ve entered. My joining this contest is not so much to gain intellectual merit as to win money. (I’ve indicated that I am a writer many times before and I intend to mean that as an earning profession.)

            I sent a poem entitled “Every Long Sip” to the World Poetry Movement Open Amateur Poetry Contest as my official entry in hopes that I could win $1,000, which, in Pesos, is estimated to be A LOT OF MONEY.

            I must say, I really put a lot of elbow grease on this one. And I must also say that I think I did a decent job considering that I could not exceed 34 lines and I am often a very bad poet. A friend back in UST actually mistook my compilation of six poems as a thesis bibliography, but I digress.

            Anyway, please check out my entry at http://poets.com/andrew-gahol/every-long-sip. If you’re feeling a little Shakespeare or Robert Pinsky today, you can also join the contest (http://www.poetrycontest.com/navlinks/default_028.html). The rules are pretty easy and what’s there to lose?

            Here’s “Every Long Sip”, enjoy:


24 comments:

  1. You're the contemporary Walt Whitman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not deserve that compliment but thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice!

    It would be a crime if you don't win! hahahahahaha.

    That's how good your poem is.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Haha! That's too much of an overstatement but thank you! Fingers crossed though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely poem. I love it from the start till the end. I admire your craftsmanship. Galing! :)Napahanga mo ako ah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely. Just lovely! I really hope you win! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Noks! I'm so glad that you like it. I was afraid that people would actually hate the piece somehow.

    Thanks for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jana! Thank you! So happy that you took time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck!

    I for one love your honesty and humour, in how you introduced your participation in the poetry contest. :)

    Your poem awakened a lot of senses; I feel you have a good chance of acing it. Now I'll try to get to that link, and add to the chances that you do get it through voting! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for reading and liking my poetry. It's not everyday that I channel my inner Robert Frost. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this one is really good. Had a good time reading

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great! how I wish I have the same talent as yours. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice Poem. It says tells a story in a unique way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol with "make a fool out of myself by asking Facebook friends in Facebook and/or Twitter to read and/or like it.". I love the poem ,how you played with words and made me lol more on the last sentence for the "thanks Irene".

    ReplyDelete
  15. lovely! Not all can write good poems. My daughter loves writing poems too and I'm encouraging her to pursue. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice poem. had a fun tym reading it. now, im gonna go make some coffee. hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great content! :D
    you're such a great writer :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Modern day BALAGTAS! Great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  19. pretty deep, bro... explanation please... LOL. it would be to shallow to think its just about coffee. hope you win. Yahweh bless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think you'll win by a Venti with your poem. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love the poem! :) I used to make poems too before whenever I feel sad or anything that comes in my mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for being awesome! I appreciate your comments! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice one!
    Competition is a battle of
    the BEST but you may not bring home the
    title but having this master piece is the
    PRIZE itself. GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete

I'd like to hear from you!